Quantcast

New report highlights dangers of kid's toys - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

New report highlights dangers of kid's toys

 What child doesn't love finding a shiny new toy wrapped up for the holidays? Toys are usually at the top of any holiday wish list.

However, a new report by the Colorado Public Interest Research Group (CoPIRG) points out hazards parents should watch out for.

Their main concerns are toxic hazards like lead and chromium, as well as small parts that children can choke on. Magnets are also a concern because if swallowed can cause major problems internally.

"Toys are slipping through the cracks," says Kate Cohen, with CoPIRG. "Despite the fact that the CoPIRG Foundation reports alone have led to at least 150 recalls and actions to get dangerous toys off store shelves."

She says research has shown that lead can lower IQ and cause behavioral problems. As for choking, as easy way to see if the toy will be a hazard is to try to fit it through a cardboard toilet paper roll. If it can fit, that means a child under the age of three can choke on it.

She points out Buckyball magnets can cause severe problems internally if a child swallows them and can even rip a hole in a child's intestine.

Parent Meghan MacKinnon is already taking precaution.

"I make sure stuff isn't too small and try to stay away from things that have paint," she says.

She says she also watches out for toys that aren't very durable because pieces can fall off and then her child can choke on them.

The report also says to watch out for balloons and batteries. It says balloons can be easily inhaled and get stuck in throats, and that batteries can cause internal bleeding if swallowed.
Powered by Frankly

© KOAA.com 2017, KOAA.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?