Posted: Dec 10, 2010 5:42 PM by Greg Boyce
Updated: Dec 10, 2010 5:54 PM
The Pueblo Rural Fire Department put out a fire east of Pueblo this afternoon along 44th Lane.
Five homes were threatened by the fire, which was helped by very dry conditions and fanned by gusty winds. One modular home and two vehicles were destroyed.
The Sheriff's Office got the call about 1:40 p.m. The initial call said it was a controlled burn that got out of control. There were also reports it was started by a discarded cigarette.
Area firefighters from the Westpark Volunteer Fire Department, Boone Volunteer Fire Department, Pueblo Rural Fire Department and Pueblo West Fire Department also helped.
This fire is still under investigation. Sheriff Kirk Taylor said, "The entire state is in an extremely dry condition. Please be mindful in putting out cigarettes and have plenty of water available when conducting a controlled burn."
No injuries were reported.