Dec 2, 2009 6:45 PM by Paul Adler
Here's a tip that could save pet owners hundreds of dollars. A man nearly lost his favorite cat after wrapping presents for a baby shower. It took surgery to save the animal's life.
Sometimes Cee Bee becomes the invisible cat -- tough to find and afraid of strangers but Earl Butrick didn't find it hard to see Cee Bee recently had a big problem.
"He became groggy and wasn't eating like he was supposed to. He actually was losing weight pretty rapidly," said Butrick.
"We were really trying to focus in on the abdomen and look at the intestinal track, and this is the small bowel loop," said veterinarian Dr. Kara Amstutz, showing an X-ray of Cee Bee.
Amstutz says the X-ray didn't really clear up the mystery of what was happening to Cee Bee.
"The problem this X-ray showed was the small bowel looks a little bunched up together and has some odd gas patterns in there, which made me very suspicious we might have something hiding inside," said Amstutz.
Amstutz is no stranger to working as surgeon and detective with animals. A half dozen times a year, a cat or a dog swallows something strange. She's found razor blades, rocks and even scrunchees for hair in their guts.
So Cee Bee went under the knife. And, after all that, the culprit was two feet of ribbon.
"I kept pulling and pulling and pulling and about two feet later I realized why this poor little kitty wouldn't eat," the vet said. "It's always exciting to find out what it is, and take it out and also see the pet do so much better once it's out of their system."
"I felt very stupid for allowing such a thing to happen," said Butrick.
It seems Cee Bee found the leftovers from a baby shower interesting. It's a warning for pet owners as the holidays approach to scoop up that tinsel, hide those wrapped boxes of chocolate, or skip the ribbon as Christmas approaches.
" Well, stay away from the crinkle ribbon, and I don't think I'd put the Christmas presents out until Christmas night and keep him away from it. Keep the pets away," said Butrick.
The cost for this type of surgery can range from between $500 and $800.
1 hour ago