Aug 29, 2011 4:51 PM by Gene Cotton
LAS VEGAS (AP) - When the U.S. Olympic Committee said it wouldn't bid to host the 2020 Games, Las Vegas leaders decided to roll the dice anyway: They have sent a letter to the IOC saying they are still all in.
The letter, dated Aug. 26 and sent to the International and U.S. Olympic committees, says, "this is intended to serve as the Vegas 2020 Bid Committee's Application Letter to host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games."
The letter was obtained by gamesbids.com.
Here's the hitch: Any city's application to bid must be supported by the country's Olympic committee. USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky says nothing has changed since last week's
decision - that the United States will not bid for 2020.
Bid applications are due Sept. 1.