Jun 4, 2011 12:36 AM by Matt Stafford
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - A U.S. official says flaws have been found in a controversial U.S. report that estimates Haiti's 2010 earthquake killed fewer people than previously thought.
Mark Feierstein works on development issues in Latin American and the Caribbean for the U.S. Agency for International Development. He says the draft report drew on an unrepresentative sample of data. He says the study didn't look at hard-hit areas in the countryside or take into consideration collapsed homes that killed people.
The report hasn't been officially released. It estimates Haiti's death toll was between 46,000 and 85,000, much lower than the 316,000 cited by Haitian authorities.
The report's author couldn't be reached for comment Friday.