Posted: Mar 15, 2010 8:08 PM by David Ortiviz
Updated: Mar 15, 2010 8:08 PM
Despite budget cuts our local health departments are finding ways to keep up with restaurant inspections. While El Paso County admits they struggle to inspect every restaurant more than once a year. Pueblo is meeting those state requirements. Also, overall complaints of food borne illness in both counties are relatively low.
Last year there were 17 illness complaints in Pueblo County, roughly one for every 50 restaurants. In El Paso County, there were 115 complaints, one for every 21 restaurants.
"For the most part Pueblo does very very well, we have a low incidence of food borne illnesses coming out of Pueblo County," said Juanita Rodriguez, with the Pueblo City-County Health Department.
Anyone can review a restaurant's health inspection files or file a complaint. Contact your local health department. The Pueblo City-County Health Department is located at 101 W. 9th St. and their phone number is 719-583-4323. The El Paso County Health Department is located at 301 S. Union Blvd. Their phone number is 719-578-3199.
Quick facts at a glance:
Pueblo City-County Health Department:
- 1,765 retail food establishments were inspected in 2009, and 2,069 in 2008.
- There are roughly 900 retail food establishments in Pueblo County.
- The health department has 5 inspectors.
El Paso County Health Department:
- 3,573 retail food establishments were inspected in 2009
- There are roughly 2,500 retail food establishments in El Paso County.
- The number of inspectors fluctuates, but the health department says there are about 13 inspectors.