Colorado

May 9, 2010 11:10 PM by Matt Stafford

Unexpected start to Mother's Day

An early morning apartment fire got Mother's Day off to an unexpected start for many Springs families.

As residents at the Pine Crest Apartments in Colorado Springs waited for the flames to be put out, crews found that food left unattended on a stove top started the fire. Lt. Jeff Sievers with the Colorado Springs Fire Department told News First 5 that the fire spread into the cabinets of the apartment, but no out of the unit where it started.

No one was in the apartment at the time of the fire. The fire department says surrounding tenants got out quick, many just waking up and getting ready to celebrate Mother's Day

"The moment you have to out of the apartment, you don't even think about what day is today," says Cecilia Amador, a resident of the Pine Crest Apartment Complex.

All of the tenants, except from the apartment catching fire, are home tonight. Luckily, there were no injuries to report.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4