Sep 29, 2012 7:41 PM by Monica Gouty
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - Authorities are praising a 14-year-old boy for saving his mother and another resident from a house fire in Steamboat Springs.
The Steamboat Pilot & Today reports firefighters were called to the fire at about 7 a.m. Saturday.
Chief Mel Stewart says the boy was awakened by a smoke alarm and found flames in a hallway in the basement apartment. The teen's mother was asleep in her room, but the fire made it impossible for him to get directly to her.
Stewart says the boy went outside, banged on the bedroom window to wake up his mother and then helped her out through the window.
The tenant upstairs also was alerted and got out of the house, which suffered moderate damage.
Stewart says he gives the boy "a lot of credit."
1 hour ago