Posted: Aug 26, 2010 8:57 AM by Elaine Sheridan
Updated: Aug 26, 2010 11:06 AM
Posters showing up in stores around Penrose have pet owners in Fremont County on edge.
The hand written posters have been placed in windows, bulletin boards, and counters and they warn pet owners about someone who is randomly poisoning dogs with anti-freeze in meat.
The signs don't tell people where the poisonings took place or who is responsible for putting up the signs.
News First 5 contacted the stores to inquire where they came from, but no one knew exactly who posted them.
The Fremont County Sheriff's Office says they have not heard about any poisoned animals.
"We haven't gotten any calls," said Fremont County Sheriff's Office Spokeswoman Andrea Cooper. "At this time I don't think that people have anything to worry about. If there were multiple cases I am sure that someone would have called and reported it. If this did happen, right now it looks like an isolated case. " Cooper added that if they do get reports of poisonings that the Sheriff's Office will immediately investigate them and let the public know that there is someone trying to kill pets.
We also contacted veterinary clinics in the area and only one said they had treated any animals that were suffering with antifreeze poisoning. That office says that it was a single client that brought in some puppies that had ingested antifreeze, but they couldn't confirm if it was an accidental or deliberate poisoning.
There is a reason that rumors of poisonings are striking fear in the hearts of pet owners in the area. In 2000 more than 60 cases of random antifreeze poisonings in pets were reported in Penrose and Canon City. No arrests were ever made.
"I think it is so sad that someone would do that to an animal like that," Diana, a Penrose shopper told News First. "I understand that sometimes neighborhood pets are allowed to run loose and that can be a real hassle, but there has to be a better solution than to poison something and let them die a slow painful death. It's just not right."
Antifreeze is extremely toxic causing kidney failure that is often fatal in just a few days.
Signs of antifreeze poisoning include pets acting depressed and staggering like they are drunk,drinking lots of water, vomiting,and seizures.
If you suspect antifreeze poisoning go to your vet immediately, and if you believe that your pet was deliberately poisoned call the Sheriff's Office.