Nov 5, 2013 12:08 AM by Juice Godfrey
It was a unanimous vote by Cañon City Council to approve the master plan to rebuild the Royal Gorge Park tonight.
Anxious residents filled the council chambers to hear the outcome of tonights meeting. Another plan had been tabled by Council back in October due to a shortfall in insurance money to fund the project and differences in vision. A number of changes were made to the plan, including adding a $1.2 million dollar amphitheater and reducing the size of the new visitors center to make up for the difference in cost. The original master plan was estimated at $31 million dollars and recently, the park's insurer said it was only going to pay $23 million.
Council wants the park rebuilt with a look toward the future. Some at the meeting were concerned about when the park is going to reopen.
"I would like to have a hard date to give to my customers, and I'm sure the other businesses would in the area also-so that we can tell customers that we will have some sort of opening and ability for you to visit the bridge." Says Todd Denius, the owner of the Royal View Campground.
Park General Manager, Mike Bandera says they are working as fast as they can to get the park back open. "This is a 23 Million dollar project, and we're gonna try to get it done in less than 7 months. So it's a design/build type of structure." That means there will be several parts of the project still being designed while other portions of the park are under construction.
As those new designs are done, they will be shown off for the public to view.