Colorado

Jan 14, 2010 3:02 PM by Bea Karnes, News First 5

Pueblo West home destroyed by fire

A fire inadvertently started by the homeowner destroyed a Pueblo West home early Thursday morning. No one was injured.

The fire was reported by a neighbor on Granby Lane at 3:00 am. The owner told investigators that she was burning items in a backyard fire pit Wednesday night. She thought she put it out--then went to bed.

Mark Mears, Emergency Services Bureau Chief said, "She didn't violate any laws by having a fire pit in the backyard but home owners need to be diligent when burning in outdoor fireplaces. We encourage everyone to place a screen over the flame area, even when they believe the fire is out. That will help keep embers from straying to flammable areas." 

The home is a complete loss.  No charges will be filed.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

More News

Weather - Forecast
Story Photo

11 hours ago

Playing Dodgeball with Showers

Scattered showers and a few thunderstorms have developed across southern Colorado Saturday afternoon. The chance for rain will remain in the forecast...

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4