Jan 25, 2012 2:50 PM by Greg Boyce
Pueblo Community College accounting students will provide free basic and intermediate income tax return preparation service. Those eligible have children at home and make less than $49,000.
The service will be available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on six consecutive Saturdays beginning Jan. 28 and from 5 to 7:30 p.m. on five Thursdays beginning Feb. 2. It will take place in Room 157 of PCC's Gorsich Advanced Technology Center, which is located at Orman Avenue and Arthur Street.
Fourteen students took PCC accounting instructor Margie Walker's "Income Tax" class during PCC's fall semester and then passed examinations to become Internal Revenue Service-certified to prepare basic and intermediate income tax returns. They will be joined by 3-5 returning students, and all of them have volunteered to work a minimum of 30 hours preparing tax returns.
"It's such a pleasure to work with the high-caliber students in this program," Walker said. "The program is a great opportunity as it further enhances these students' skills in customer service, understanding the importance of community service by volunteering their time and by emphasizing the importance of confidentiality in dealing with an individual's tax return information."
Those utilizing the service are urged to bring the following to the tax site:
• All W-2, 1099s and other income-related documents
• Proof of mortgage interest, property taxes, daycare payments, college education expenses, charitable contributions and all other tax-deductible expenses
• Social Security cards for all family members and a photo I.D.
• A copy of last year's tax return, if available
• Bank account number and routing number to have one's refund direct deposited (normally in 7-10 days)
PCC is one of 16 colleges in Colorado participating in Tax Help Colorado, a program sponsored by The Piton Foundation.
Questions can be made by dialing 2-1-1 (a free call) and more information is available by contacting Walker at 549-3180 or Margie.Walker@pueblocc.edu, or by going to The Piton Foundation.