National

Jul 30, 2013 1:30 PM by Elaine Sheridan

Peanuts blamed in girl's death at summer camp

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A 13-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after taking a bite of a treat at a family summer camp in Sacramento.

The El Dorado County Sheriff's Office tells the Sacramento Bee that Natalie Giorgi died Saturday at Camp Sacramento after ingesting a Rice Krispies treat with peanuts, even after her parents administered multiple doses of medicine.

A family friend told the Bee that Giorgi spit out the treat right away after tasting peanuts.

She called her parents, who gave her a dose of Benadryl and monitored her.

Twenty minutes later she had trouble breathing. Her father, a doctor, administered an injection of epinephrine three times before she stopped breathing.

The sheriff's office cited laryngeal edema, or a swelling in the throat, as the cause of death.

»Comments

More News

Weather - Forecast
Story Photo

11 hours ago

Playing Dodgeball with Showers

Scattered showers and a few thunderstorms have developed across southern Colorado Saturday afternoon. The chance for rain will remain in the forecast...

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4