Jan 20, 2011 1:14 AM by Lee Douglas
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - New Jersey Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov has told the team to end discussions on the Carmelo Anthony deal.
In a news conference before Wednesday night's game against Utah, Prokhorov said he decided on Tuesday to stop pursuit of the Nuggets all-star forward, unhappy with how things played out in public.
The new owner says the deal took too long and became too expensive.
Prokhorov also says he has called off a scheduled meeting with Anthony.
Previously, New Jersey had offered to ship six players and at least two first-round draft picks to Denver in a deal that would have sent Anthony to the Nets along with former Pistons teammates Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)