Posted: Sep 2, 2011 5:12 PM by Stephanie Collins
Updated: Sep 2, 2011 8:14 PM
Non-profit, for-profit, right now the future of Memorial Hospital is uncertain. But, planning is moving forward and now Colorado Springs Mayor Steve Bach is involved.
City Council decided last week that their Memorial Task Force will now collaborate with the mayor and members of the Regional Leadership Forum, to expedite the request for proposal process, "This process now is, to at last, get a competitive bidding process going on who will be the best organization to run memorial as we go forward," explains Bach.
Last November, a commission put together by City Council, recommended that Memorial become an independent non-profit. Now, by inviting some new bidders it's possible the winning proposal could come from a for-profit organization. Barbary Day, who's been a nurse for 35 years and has worked at hospitals that were for profit, is worried that staff would be cut if that happens, "I'm a nurse, I know what I'm doing, I have the skills; but I need the tools to be able to accomplish the best patient care," says Day.
Another concern from those at the meeting was that this process won't be carried out in front of the public, "What I've said for really the last eight and a half months is we need an open, transparent process that's fair and competitive," contends Bach.
The task force says all decisions will be made in the Memorial Task Force meetings, which are open to the public. The next one is scheduled for next Friday.
What's next for Memorial? In the next 30 days council will choose a consultant to put together the request for proposal and will forward the best to the city council. The goal is to have a proposal to put before the voters by early next year.