Jun 11, 2010 1:56 PM by Greg Boyce
The Colorado Department of Public Health is accepting applications for members of a Medical Marijuana Registry Advisory Committee. The committee will advise the department's executive director regarding rulemaking required by two medical marijuana bills recently passed by the Colorado General Assembly.
It is estimated there are 94,000 people who have successfully applied to the registry this year. Of that number, approximately 70,000 applicants are in the backlog of applications still being processed and awaiting their official registry card. The department is seeking additional resources to eliminate the backlog within the next six months.
The committee will develop recommendations on implementation of these two new laws.
The 11-member advisory committee will consist of nine members of the public and two from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. Members from the public will represent the following:
· A patient holding a valid, active medical marijuana registration card
· A primary care giver registered with the department
· An owner/operator of a medical marijuana center
· A physician holding an unrestricted, active Colorado license who recommends medical marijuana to appropriate patients in his or her practice
· A Colorado licensed health care worker who specializes in addiction medicine
· A Colorado licensed health care worker who specializes in chronic pain management
· A Colorado licensed health care worker who specializes in oncology/cancer care
· A representative of the Colorado law enforcement community
· A Colorado district attorney or representative of the district attorney community
Participation on the committee will require meeting at least once a month over the next 12 months and a willingness to work toward consensus. Apply online or mail the application by June 30, 2010, to:
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
4300 Cherry Creek Drive S.
Denver, CO 80246-1530
Questions about the committee can be sent to McGowan at email@example.com.