Mar 21, 2014 10:35 AM by Elaine Sheridan
COLORADO SPRINGS - If you saw a lot of black smoke on Colorado Springs' eastside Friday morning you're not alone.
Colorado Springs firefighters responded to an outdoor fire at Signs Illuminated, a salvage yard, near Platte Avenue and Academy.
Lt. Kriss Soppe said a worker on a break sparked the fire when his cigarette butt caught some tumbleweeds on fire. He said that then caught some of the large plastic signs on fire.
"A lot of these signs have a great deal of plastic in them and as you've seen plastic burns with very thick black smoke and there was quite a bit of plastics in this fire so that did make the smoke column look pretty impressive," said Soppe.
Firefighters used large caliber hoses to put the fire out quickly, and kept it from spreading to nearby businesses.
A maintenance man suffered minor injuries in the fire, but he was treated at the scene and released.