Top Stories

Apr 23, 2013 3:59 PM by Zach Thaxton

Man dead from likely CO poisoning; marijuana grow found in house

A Colorado Springs man is dead and a woman is hospitalized after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in a house near North Circle Drive and Maizeland Road.  Police say a generator was running in the home and there was a marijuana grow in the basement of the home.

Dispatchers received a 911 call from 2122 Meyers Avenue around 9:00 Tuesday morning from a woman reporting that a man was dead in the garage and that she was feeling ill.  When firefighters arrived, they discovered the body of a man, believed to be in his 50s, slumped near the doorway separating the attached garage and the home.  The woman who made the 911 call was taken to Memorial Hospital with symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning.  Firefighters found a generator running in the garage with wires extending into the home.  Further examination of the home revealed a marijuana grow in the basement.  A police spokesperson told News 5 that utilities had been shut off to the home Monday and they suspect that the generator was running to provide power to the basement marijuana grow.  Colorado Springs Utilities would not provide any specifics regarding individual customers' utilities accounts.  Detectives from CSPD's Vice-Narcotics Investigations division were called to the home, but police would not elaborate regarding the quantity of marijuana found in the home.  Colorado's Amendment 64 allows for six mature marijuana plants to be grown in the home of a person. "There were marijuana plants in different stages and our Vice-Narcotics detectives are looking into that," said Sergeant Bob Konz.  Konz continued to say that there was no criminal investigation into the man's death, which is considered non-suspicious, nor the marijuana found in the basement.

A police spokesperson confirmed that there were police calls to the same address in the summer of 2012 related to marijuana.  The first occurred on June 8 for a check of welfare on children in the home due to a strong odor of marijuana coming from the house.  A second drugs and narcotics call was dispatched to the home on July 17.

Police say there may be an additional resident of the home who was not present at the time of the suspected carbon monoxide poisoning and they were trying to contact that person.  Three dogs and two snakes in an aquarium were removed from the home by the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region.  An HSPPR spokesperson says the animals appear to be in satisfactory health and will be considered strays until a next-of-kin can be notified.

The names of the suspected carbon monoxide poisoning victims have not been released.

Related Stories

»Comments

More News

Weather - Forecast
Story Photo

7 minutes ago

Rain & Snow On The Way

A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect from 6 PM tonight until 4 AM Thursday for Teller County, the Rampart Range (including...

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4