Posted: Nov 16, 2012 10:26 AM by JD Downing
Updated: Nov 16, 2012 2:46 PM
Despite the news that Hostess is going out of business, there's some good news for Twinkies lovers. We've dug up a recipe on how to make your own Apocalypse-surviving cakes. Enjoy!
How to make homemade Twinkies
(makes 25 - 2x3 inch cakes)
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
1 cup water
1 (5.1 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
5 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 10x15 inch jelly roll pans.
2. Beat the eggs until combined; stir in the melted butter. Add the water, pudding mix, and yellow cake mix, stirring well to combine. The batter will be very thick. Divide the batter between the prepared pans, spreading it evenly.
3. Bake until the cakes spring back when pressed lightly with a finger or a tester comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
4. To make the filling, combine the room-temperature butter, cream cheese, and confectioners sugar. Beat until smooth. Stir in the whipped topping and vanilla extract.
5. When the cakes are cool, spread the filling mixture on top of one cake layer. Place the second cake layer on top of the first, and cut into bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in the freezer.