National

Feb 24, 2014 1:16 PM by David Randall

Left to burn

A Portland, Oregon family is devastated after losing their minivan in a fire.

What's worse, they say a fire extinguisher was at their fingertips, but they weren't allowed to use it.

It started with a spark from the phone charger.

"I panicked, the car started to fill up with smoke," says Michelle Cuellar.

Cuellar says she and her family pulled into a Shell Station and asked for a fire extinguisher.

"She stated while she's on the phone with 911 that 'My boss said we cannot give you a fire extinguisher, that's our policy' and I said 'You've got to be kidding me!'," Cuellar recalls.

As minutes passed, smoke turned to flames. The van was gone.

The Shell Station was contacted but the didn't have a comment on what happened.

Tualitain Valley Fire and Rescue responded to the call.

They say they encourage people to help during an emergency, but it's not required

 

»Comments

More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4