Posted: Feb 24, 2011 4:42 PM by Greg Boyce
A fire at a home in Hatchet Ranch in southern Pueblo County was put out this morning with the help of a tanker from the Pueblo County Roads and Bridges Department.
The fire was confined to a small utility room in an attached garage at a home in the 6100 block of Muddy Creek Road. A water heater inside had apparently caught fire just before 9 a.m.
The home is not in a fire protection district. Emergency Services personnel said homeowners outside fire protection districts cannot expect firefighters to respond. Emergency Services Chief Mark Mears said, "Our fire mission is to prevent the spread of wild land fire. It is what we are equipped to handle and what we train our volunteers to respond to. In this case, the home owner was extremely lucky the fire didn't spread out of control or she would have lost her house and we would have been forced to watch. In these areas, prevention, mitigation, and preparedness by the home owners are key."
No one was injured and the Regional Building Department declared the residence safe to occupy this afternoon.