Sep 17, 2013 7:00 AM by Diana Kohnle
Health Tip: Help Your Teen Get Enough Sleep
(HealthDay News) -- Teens need plenty of sleep, about nine hours per night. That can be tough to achieve, but parents can help instill healthy sleep habits.
The Cleveland Clinic offers this advice:
- Keep a regular bedtime and wake schedule every day, including weekends.
- Take a 30-minute nap in the early afternoon to boost energy.
- Get plenty of exercise, aiming for 30-to-60 minutes at least four days per week.
- Avoid foods and beverages containing caffeine in the evening, and abstain from drugs and alcohol.
- Have a healthy, light snack before bedtime to avoid going to bed hungry.
- Allow time before bed to wind down and relax.
- Create a clean, relaxing and comfortable bedroom environment.