Oct 12, 2012 7:00 AM by Diana Kohnle
Health Tip: Exercising in Cold Weather
(HealthDay News) -- Most people can exercise comfortably in cold weather, assuming they bundle up. The prime concern is preventing hypothermia -- the loss of too much body heat.
The American Council on Exercise offers these suggestions for exercising safely in the cold:
- Wear layers of clothing that you can peel away as you warm up.
- Keep your head, hands and feet warm with a hat, gloves and socks.
- Always check the weather before heading out. Don't exercise outdoors in dangerous conditions.
- Avoid cotton or tightly woven clothing, which may retain moisture next to the skin.
- If it's very cold, wear a scarf or mask to cover your nose and mouth.