Nov 16, 2012 7:00 AM by Diana Kohnle
Health Tip: Eat Healthier During the Holidays
(HealthDay News) -- Food is a big part of holiday gatherings, but you can enjoy the holidays with all the trimmings without necessarily gaining weight.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions:
- If you have a big holiday party, eat breakfast and regular meals throughout the day. That way, you won't be starving when it's time to party.
- Eat lots of fruits, vegetables and high-fiber whole grains that will make you feel full, without the extra calories.
- Eat in moderation, both healthy foods and indulgent desserts.
- Use a smaller plate, and first fill up on veggies before you try entrees or dessert.
- Eat your food slowly, taking time to savor each bite. Take a pause before heading for seconds, to be sure you're actually hungry.
- Take a walk after dinner.