Sep 18, 2013 7:00 AM by Diana Kohnle
Health Tip: Allergic to Latex?
(HealthDay News) -- Among people with a latex allergy, exposure to the material can lead to a serious -- potentially deadly -- reaction.
The American Latex Allergy Association suggests you take these precautions if you have a latex allergy:
- Wear medic alert identification.
- Always carry with you any prescribed allergy medications, non-latex gloves and a letter of explanation from your allergist.
- Make sure your health-care providers, family, friends and co-workers know about your allergy.
- Avoid items typically made with latex, such as balloons, condoms and rubber gloves.
- Talk to your allergist about how to avoid hidden sources of latex, such as foods prepared by people wearing latex gloves.