Dec 6, 2011 12:58 PM by Matt Stafford
LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) - Colorado health officials suspect norovirus after a quarter of the students at a Jefferson County elementary school got sick.
The children all attend Normandy Elementary. The school has stayed open throughout the ordeal.
The virus causes vomiting and diarrhea. According Denver news outlets, steps are being taken to disinfect the school, including cleaning all permanent surfaces and reinforcing good hygiene.
Norovirus is recognized as the leading cause of foodborne-disease outbreaks in the United States, according the Centers for Disease Control. The CDC says Norovirus causes acute gastroenteritis in humans; the most common symptoms of acute gastroenteritis are diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pain. They say it spreads from person to person, through contaminated food or water, and by touching contaminated surfaces.
1 hour ago