May 23, 2014 6:01 PM by Annie Snead
On Thursday, the third case of hantavirus was reported this year in our state, this time in Costilla county.
Hantavirus is carried in deer mice and humans can get it from cleaning where deer mice have been.
Earlier this month there was a fatal case in Rio Grande county.
State public health officials say there are typically two to six cases every year.
To prevent getting the virus, contact an exterminator to get rid of rodents.
Also - spray down any rodent droppings with bleach before cleaning them up yourself to avoid inhaling the dust from them.
15 hours ago