Dec 18, 2009 8:55 AM by Associated Press
South Korea's military says a suspected cyberattack that netted secret defense plans may have been carried out by North Korea.
According to a Defense Ministry spokesman, the suspected hacking occurred late last month. He says a South Korean officer failed to remove a USB device when he switched a military computer from a restricted-access intranet to the Internet. The USB device is said to have contained a summary of plans for military operations by South Korean and U.S. troops in case of war on the Korean peninsula.
Authorities haven't ruled out the possibility that Pyongyang may have used a Chinese IP address -- the Web equivalent of a street address or phone number.
The latest case comes months after hackers launched high-profile cyberattacks on prominent government-run sites in the U.S. and South Korea.