Mar 7, 2014 4:58 PM by Stephen Bowers
Friday Weather: Starting dry, ending messy
Snow is on the way, and while our Friday started dry, the commute home from work this evening will likely be quite messy. High temperatures were in the 40's and lower 50's before sunrise this morning. The overall trend is for cooling throughout the day.
Rain will begin falling up and down I-25 from 10 AM to 2 PM. During that same time frame, snow will begin falling in the higher elevations west of I-25. After 4 PM, any rain will begin changing over to snow. It will be gradual and will not all happen immediately, but by 7-8 PM it's all snow falling, and it will continue to fall overnight. The snow begins fading from 2 AM to 5 AM, but a few leftover areas of snow could linger to 7-8 AM, especially in southern areas around Trinidad, Walsenburg, and Springfield. After any early morning snow ends Saturday, the day gradually becomes sunny and improves. Although the snow ends and the clouds clear, the rest of Saturday will still be chilly. Sunday will be a better day to be outside. High temperatures will be in the 60's.
Use our interactive doppler map to see rain/snow in your neighborhood in real-time.
- A Winter Storm Warning is in effect until 9 AM Saturday for Teller County and the Rampart Range, where 5-10" of snow is expected. This includes Woodland Park, Cripple Creek, Cascade, Divide, and Victor.
- A Winter Storm Warning is in effect from 2 PM Friday until 9 AM Saturday for the Wet Mountains and the Sagre de Cristo Mountains, where 8-16" of snow is expected. This includes areas primarily west of Beulah and Rye as well as areas west of Westcliffe and Silver Cliff, in addition to areas near La Veta Pass.
- A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect until 6 AM Saturday for northern El Paso County and for Fremont County, where 4-8" of snow is expected. This includes Monument, Gleneagle, Black Forest, Peyton, Calhan, Falcon, Cañon City, Florence, Penrose, Cotopaxi, and Texas Creek.
- A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect from 2 PM Friday until 6 AM Saturday for Pueblo County, where 2-5" of snow is expected. This includes Pueblo, Pueblo West, Rye, Beulah, Avondale, and Boone.
- A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect from 2 PM Friday until 9 AM Saturday for Huerfano, Las Animas, and Baca Counties, where 5-10" of snow is expected. This includes Trinidad, Walsenburg, Model, Kim, Springfield, and Campo.