Colorado

Apr 22, 2014 5:55 PM by Lisa Lyden

First Hantavirus case reported in Colorado

The first confirmed case of Hantavirus in Colorado (In Garfield County) this year. A reminder, Hantavirus can be fatal. It's found in saliva, urine and mouse droppings of infected rodents.

Take precautions when cleaning outbuildings, barns or other areas where you suspect mice have been. The CDC says: always wear gloves and a mask. Soak contaminated areas with a bleach solution and let it sit for 5 minutes. Use a paper towel for cleanup, do not sweep or use a vacuum as that can cause the virus particles to go airborne.

People are infected by breathing in the virus during direct contact with rodents or from disturbing dust and feces from mice nests or surfaces contaminated with mice droppings or urine.

The State health department reports two confirmed cases last year. The most cases reported in a year in Colorado was eight, in 2005.

Symptoms include muscle aches, fatigue, high fever, dizziness, headaches, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain which can eventually lead to death.

»Comments

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4