Jul 1, 2011 2:59 PM by Greg Boyce
Area counties have various restrictions on smoking, fireworks and even grills. The most restrictive rules are in Fremont County where you aren't supposed to smoke in your car or use gas grills.
Here are the current rules for El Paso, Pueblo, Fremont, Teller and Custer Counties. Keep in mind rules in cities, towns and federal lands may vary.
El Paso County Stage 1
Burning with no fire restrictions in place:
Open burning during these times may only take place with an open burning permit issued through the Colorado Department of Health and Environment in Denver. Violations of the provision may result in a civil fine.
Burning during Stage I Fire Restrictions:
The following activities are prohibited during Stage I Restrictions:
• Open burning defined as campfires and warming fires (except in permanently constructed fire grates in developed campgrounds and picnic grounds), charcoal grills and outdoor wood burning stoves (except at private residences in areas cleared of all flammable materials), the use of explosives, outdoor welding or use of acetylene or other torch with open flame other than in an area cleared of all flammable materials. Fires contained within liquid-fueled or gas-fueled stoves are permitted.
• The use of sale of fireworks of all kinds.
• Outdoor smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
Violations of Stage I Restrictions may result in a fine of up to $600.00.
Pueblo County Stage 2
1. No outdoor welding.
2. No outdoor smoking.
3. No fireworks sale or use. (2 Community Displays have received written exemption)
4. No Recreational Burning (to include enclosed fires such as chiminea's or backyard fireplaces, barrels, or pits)
5. No Charcoal Grills. (*propane grilling is still permitted)
6. No Campfires or Agricultural Burns.
Custer County Stage 2
The following acts are prohibited on public and private land, roads, and trails, until further notice:
Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire.
Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.
Operating a chainsaw or motorized equipment without approved spark arrestors for any purpose.
Blasting, welding, or other activities which generate flame or flammable material.
Burning of trash or open burns.
Please contact the Custer County Sheriff's Department at 719-783-2270 for further details
Fremont County Stage III
Fire Ban, Stage 3 Restrictions
1. All open flames and fires, regardless of location or source of fuel;
2. All outdoor smoking and smoking within vehicles including discarding of cigarette
butts at any location or from any vehicle;
3. Propane, charcoal or other fuel grill use;
4. All outdoor use of equipment or machinery with an internal combustion engine;
5. All outdoor welding and grinding;
6. Recreational below ground cooking;
7. All agricultural burning including but not limited to weeds, brush, and grass;
8. All burning of trash, waste, refuse or other debris;
9. All use and/or discharge of any fireworks or pyrotechnic device and solid fuel
10. Use of explosives;
11. Cross-country use of a motor vehicle off of a governmental designated route on
Any area of public lands under Stage 3 open fire/burning restriction shall be closed to all entry except for individuals carrying a written permit, Federal, State and Local officers or members of organized search and rescue or firefighting forces performing official duties and resident landowners and lessees.
The following are exceptions under the fire ban ordinance:
a. Sale of fireworks and fireworks displays properly permitted pursuant to Section
b. Burning of explosive wastes by the manufacturer of explosives in areas zoned
for industrial use, when the burning is supervised by a fire department or fire
c. Open fires or open burning by any federal, state or local officer, or member of an
organized fire protection district or department in the performance of an official
fire suppression or training function.
Enforcement & Penalty for Violations
The ordinance shall be enforced by the Fremont County Sheriff, Undersheriff, and deputies. Any person who violates this ordinance commits a class 2 petty offense under Colorado law and upon conviction shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000.00 for each separate violation.
Teller County Stage 2
1. Open burning is banned on private and public lands in Teller County, State of Colorado, except as allowed for by this order.
2. DEFINITION: OPEN BURNING: For purposes of this order, "open burning" shall be defined as any outdoor fire, including but not limited to campfires, warming fires, charcoal and wood grill fires, use of chainsaws, all outdoor welding and cutting activities with an open flame, fused explosives, firing of model rockets, use of fireworks, and the prescribed burning of fence rows, fields, wildlands, trash and debris. This order does not apply to commercial fireworks within city limits.
3. This order does not restrict the use of liquid or gas and propane fueled stoves, grills, and heaters on private and public lands in Teller County
4. This order does not restrict fires in fireplaces within buildings anywhere within Teller County.
5. This order does not restrict use of fused explosives on designated mining property or by special permit issued by the Sheriff.
6. Smoking is limited to enclosed vehicles.
7. The burning of irrigation ditches in the county is prohibited by this order except for ditches located within and completely surrounded by irrigated farmlands where such burning is necessary for crop survival.
8. This order shall be enforced by the Sheriff of Teller County or by the administering agencies of state and federal lands located therein. An exemption to this order shall be granted only by the administering agency, and only if the proposed action is deemed by the Sheriff or the state or federal administering agency to be safe. Possession of a current Teller County Burn Permit does not constitute an exemption. Open burning normally regulated by these permits is not allowed.
33 minutes ago