Jul 16, 2011 1:25 PM by Dr. Anya Winslow, James Egbert
Fresh fruit, veggies, dog treats and much more are available at the farmers market in Old Colorado City, which runs until 1 p.m. today.
People started arriving before the market officially opened at 7a.m.
Farmers are ready to introduce you to new produce and even tell you how it needs to be prepared.
The market runs every Saturday through the end of October.
Here are links to a list of farmers markets in the area:
Recipe is courtesy of Hanagan Farms:
Calabacita vs. Calavacita (Mexican Squash)
- 1 pound Ground Italian Sausage
- 3-4 small calavacita (sliced or cut in small pieces)
- 1 medium size diced Onion
- 2-4 cloves diced Garlic
- 1 to 1 ½ cups kernels of corn (either fresh or from ½ a can without the liquid)
- 4 to 8 roasted peeled chilies chopped (mild to hot suited to your taste)
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- Salt to taste
- Warm tortillas
Cook ground Italian sausage and set aside.
In skillet with small amount of sausage grease, sauté calavacita, onion and garlic. When squash and onions are tender, turn heat to low. Add corn, sausage, and chilies. Continue to simmer to allow blending of flavors and salt to taste.
Serve in warm tortillas with shredded cheese. Different chili varieties can be used to adjust the heat.
Leftovers make great burritos.
2 hours ago