Posted: Aug 13, 2012 4:28 PM by Andy Koen
Updated: Aug 13, 2012 9:51 PM
Around 100 employees from a handful of businesses in Colorado Springs took extra long lunch breaks Monday afternoon when a chlorine alarm forced evacuations in several buildings.
The alarm was triggered at the Thin Metal Parts company at 4733 Centennial Boulevard at around 1:00 p.m.
By the time firefighters had arrived, the chlorine gas had dispersed. They searched the building, and a few hours later determined it was safe to return to work.
Fire Department Spokesperson Sunny Smaldino says the company's safety equipment worked well.
"It's kind of like when you're cooking and you leave it on too long and your smoke alarm goes off," Smaldino said. "You mitigate the problem and it's gone. It's the same kind of situation here."
The employee who noticed the alarm was taken to the hospital for exposure to the gas as a precaution. He was later released.