News

Sep 19, 2012 7:36 PM by Alyse Rzemek

Denver man wins millions in popcorn lawsuit

DENVER (AP) - A suburban Denver man who was diagnosed with "popcorn lung," possibly from inhaling the artificial butter smell of the microwave popcorn he regularly ate, has won a $7.2 million verdict against various food companies.

Wayne Watson's attorney, Ken McClain, said a federal jury granted the award Wednesday against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., The Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies Inc. after he developed respiratory problems in 2007.

Watson previously settled claims against the flavor developer FONA International Inc., formerly Flavors of North America Inc.

Watson argued the companies failed to warn consumers that inhaling the buttery aroma could put them at risk of lung injury.

Local Denver station reports defense attorneys had argued Watson's health problems stemmed not from popcorn but from his years of working with carpet-cleaning chemicals.

»Comments

More News

Weather - Forecast
Story Photo

1 hour ago

Water Spigot Closing

The water spigot that has been turned on for parts of southern Colorado over the weekend will begin to shut for the...

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4