Oct 14, 2009 8:48 AM by Associated Press
Hundreds of people buried by landslides in Indonesia two weeks ago have been registered as dead, raising the death toll from last month's earthquake to 1,115.
Disaster Management Agency spokesman Priyadi Kardono said Wednesday that the search for 300 missing people has ended and that they have been declared dead.
The 7.6 magnitude temblor devastated large parts of West Sumatra province. A huge aid operation is under way to shelter and feed thousands made homeless. Tens of millions of dollars in outside assistance has poured into the region from foreign governments and relief groups.
Kardono said he has asked the government to pay the families of the dead roughly $250 in compensation. The homeless would get 50 cents a day for up to a month.