Posted: Mar 16, 2011 8:51 AM
Updated: Mar 16, 2011 8:58 AM
• 1 2- to 2-1/2-pound corned beef brisket
• 1 teaspoon whole black pepper
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 tablespoon pickling spice
• 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks
• 3 stalks celery, cut in 1 inch chunks
• 2 medium yellow onions, cut into wedges
• 10 to 12 new potatoes (1 pound)
• 1 small green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges (1 pound)
1. Trim fat from meat. Place in a 4- to 6-quart pot; add juices and spices from package of beef. Add enough water to cover meat. Add pepper, mustard, pickling spice and bay leaves. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer on low heat, covered, about 2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
2. Add carrots, celery and onions to meat. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Scrub potatoes; halve or quarter. Add potatoes and cabbage to pot. Cover and cook about 20 minutes more or until vegetables and meat are tender. Discard bay leaves and spices. Remove meat from pot. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Remove cabbage and slice into thin strips.
3. Lightly grill rye bread, put thin coat of spicy mustard on one side of bread, place 4-6oz corned beef on along with swiss cheese and cabbage and place top piece of bread on to complete the sandwich.