Posted: Jul 14, 2010 9:31 AM by Bea Karnes, News First 5
Updated: Jul 14, 2010 9:33 AM
Colorado Springs will begin construction on Academy Boulevard just north of York Road Friday night. The work is expected to wrap-up July 30.
Academy Boulevard is being repaved and lowered slightly to accommodate the Woodmen Road Corridor Improvement Project.
This is a very challenging task to accomplish while maintaining traffic in these narrow portions of Academy Boulevard. As a result, this effort will be "fast-tracked" and conducted at night to minimize the inconvenience to drivers during this construction work.
The roadwork will require nighttime lane shifts and closures, 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Academy will be reduced to one lane of travel in each direction between about 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
Changes to the accesses:
* The left turn lane from southbound Academy Boulevard to Brookwood Drive; and the northbound left turn lane into the Woodmen Valley Shopping Center (King Soopers) will be continuously closed until the fast-track work is completed.
* Access to both Brookwood Drive, from southbound Academy Boulevard, and to the Woodmen Valley Shopping Center from northbound Academy Boulevard will be from York Road and the new Earl Drive.
* The Academy Boulevard entrance to the Villages at Woodmen will be closed at night and residents must use Olga Willson Way.
* All other existing access points will continue to be open during this construction effort.
* There will not be any through access from Brookwood Drive or York Road to Woodmen Road. For the safety of the residents please do not attempt to travel through these residential neighborhoods.