May 25, 2010 11:02 AM by Stephanie Collins
The number of community gardens in Pueblo continues to grow.
Up from just one last year, La Familia Community Garden on the City's eastside, the Pueblo City-County Health Department is happy to see the gardens increasing in popularity, "There's 13 projects that we have going right now, all in various areas of pueblo community," says Julie Kuhn with the Health Department.
Here are some of the community garden projects currently in Pueblo:
1. Ascension Preschool
2. Bessemer Academy
3. Beulah School
4. La Familia Community Garden
5. Luv in Action (facility that offers free food and clothing to those in need, their garden will also offer fresh produce)
6. Peace Garden at El Centro del Quinto Sol Recreation Center
7. Pueblo West Elementary
8. Risley Middle School (they grow in the class room and bring the plants to the La Familia garden)
9. Southern Colorado Soap Box Derby, Inc.
10. Washington Children's Center
11. Milagro Christian Church
12. Pueblo Mennonite Church
The Health Department says the gardens are a great way to get people outside learning a fun way to change behavior and eat fruits and vegetable we need to stay healthy. They are hosting a free community garden workshop June 14h from 5:30-7:30 at the Health Department, located at 101 W. 9th Street in Pueblo.
For more information on community gardens contact Julie Kuhn at 719-583-4311