News

May 2, 2011 4:52 PM by Matt Stafford

College student sent to hospital with burns

Authorities say a Front Range Community College student has been taken to a hospital after she suffered burns while diluting a chemical in a jewelry studio classroom.

Longmont emergency manager Dan Eamon tells the Daily Times-Call the woman was injured Saturday by a chemical reaction while she was diluting ferric chloride. The chemical is often used for water treatment and to etch metal.

Eamon says there was no explosion, although that had been the initial report as police, fire and hazardous materials units went to the scene.

Front Range Community College spokesman John Feeley says the building where the accident happened did not have to be evacuated, but the jewelry studio closed and its occupants left while emergency crews checked the situation.

 

»Comments

»Topics in this article

More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4