Posted: Mar 23, 2011 8:32 AM
Updated: Mar 23, 2011 8:38 AM
Cliff House Prime Rib
• 1 (10-15 pound) prime rib roast
• 15 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 medium shallots, minced
• 1 cup olive oil
• 1/2 cup seasoning salt
• 1/2 cup dried Italian seasoning
1. Place the roast in a roasting pan with the fatty side up and pierce evenly with a fork, about 25 times. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, shallots, olive oil, seasoning salt, and Italian seasoning. Spread the mixture over the fatty layer of the roast and then place in refrigerator for up to 24 hours. On the day of cooking, let the roast sit out until it is at room temperature, about 1-1.5 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
3. Bake the roast for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the temperature to 185 degrees F and continue roasting for an additional 2-2.5 hours. The internal temperature of the roast should be at 120-125 degrees F for medium rare. If desired, continue to cook roast in additional 10 minute increments to achieve desired doneness.
4. Allow the roast to rest for 10 or 15 minutes at room temperature before carving, so that the meat can retain its juices.