May 1, 2012 7:10 PM by Greg Boyce
A Pueblo caterer has been shut down after 35 people got sick after eating their food. All Seasons Catering will remain closed until several conditions are met including training.
After a luncheon last week for the Pueblo Community Health Center about 35 of the 80 people there became ill. The Pueblo City-County Health Department traced the illness to the Clostridium perfringens toxin. This is a bacteria that causes diarrhea and abdominal cramping. It is the cause of many food borne illnesses in the United States. It is commonly found on raw meat and poultry that has been prepared too far in advance of consumption and kept at improper temperatures. The investigation traced the illness to beef gravy served at the lunch.
"The Health Department's investigation identified food as a source of the illness of attendees at the community luncheon meeting," stated Dr. Christine Nevin-Woods public health director at the Pueblo City-County Health Department. She added, "The caterer All Seasons Catering has been closed for multiple critical violations. After certain criteria are met, the caterer will be evaluated again for re-opening."
"The caterer operates under two separate locations and licenses. One location (All Seasons Catering, 2800 N. Elizabeth Street) is closed and the other location (Harts Cafe/All Seasons Events Catering, 112 W. 2nd Street) is under careful investigation by the Environmental Health Division at the Health Department," explained Dr. Nevin-Woods.
"We know how uncomfortable reactions to food poisoning can be. The Pueblo City-County Health Department appreciates the luncheon meeting attendees whose assistance was vital to the investigation. This information protects the public from future outbreaks," Dr. Nevin-Woods emphasized. She added, "Pueblo City-County Health Department is calling all meeting members that reported being ill to provide education and inform them of the investigation results."