Jun 29, 2010 10:51 PM by Stefanie Boe
More than 50 campers and staff came down with the Norovirus at a camp in Black Forest last week. It happened at the La Foret camp. Lab tests just came back for the El Paso County Health Department to confirm the source of the illness.
Norovirus can cause vomiting and other stomach problems. Dr. Bernadette Albanese from the Health Department says this type of outbreak is common when many people are together in one place.
The best prevention is hand washing. It's a good reminder for parents who are sending their kids to camp this summer: remind them to wash often and use hand sanitizer when soap and water aren't available.
Dr. Albanese also wants parents to think twice before sending sick kids to camp, because that's exactly how these types of viruses spread so fast.
The camp has been advised about cleaning and other control measures to keep this from happening again.
3 hours ago