Aug 15, 2014 11:06 PM by Matt Prichard
The Colorado Balloon Classic will be lifting off in 2015, as organizers of the summer tradition announced Friday this would be its last year in the Springs.
"Not having spoken with the promoters, not having them reach out to us to even let us know about this information, I can't speculate. I would hope the organizers would reach out and talk with the city representatives, and lets discuss what those concerns or issues might have been," said Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Director, Karen Palus.
Politics inside City Hall, and rigid special event procedures prompting the move. And those with the city admit they've had to tighten up on those policies.
"We had twice as many applications for LART funding this year, than we did last year. So our application process is a little more detailed so we can actually make good decisions on how to spend the funding," said Colorado Springs City Councilwoman, Jan Martin.
In years past the city has put up $50,000 dollars in lodging, automobile and renters tax dollars (LART) to help fund the annual event. The only problem is, this year they're dealing with a lot more people that want that money.
"We've had some great new things that have come up recently, and I know with the influx of applications that came into LART, there's a lot of new and different ideas where folks were looking for some support to bring some great events to Colorado Springs," said Palus.
We tried to reach out to the Balloon Classic, but with no luck. Even still, those with the city say they're going to do everything they can to keep this event right here in Colorado Springs.
"We'd love to see the Balloon Classic continue, it's been an iconic event and I think the Colorado Springs folks here locally as well as across the region come out for it," said Palus.
This story is ongoing and we will continue to keep you updated as more details become available.