Posted: May 7, 2010 2:17 PM by Bea Karnes, News First 5
Updated: May 7, 2010 2:17 PM
Beavers found dead in western Colorado have likely succumbed to a common waterborne bacteria.
Colorado Division of Wildlife officials say that several beavers have been found dead in San Miguel and Gilpin counties. The culprit was an outbreak of a bacteria called tularemia, which can infect animals that spend a lot of time in water.
Five beavers have been found dead near Telluride, and three beaver carcasses were reported in Gilpin County.
Dr. Lisa Wolfe, a state wildlife veterinarian, says outbreaks of tularemia are common and pose little threat to humans.