Sep 24, 2010 9:04 AM by Bea Karnes, News First 5
The Army says five Fort Carson soldiers who were killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan last month were in a single heavily armed vehicle.
Maj. Gen. David G. Perkins, Fort Carson's commanding general, said Thursday the soldiers were in a Mine-Resistant, Ambush-Protected vehicle (MRAP), when they were killed on Aug. 30.
Perkins says MRAPs are well protected but not invulnerable. He says Taliban fighters have made some of their roadside bombs more powerful since the arrival of the vehicles.
The five soldiers killed that day were from the 1st Brigade Combat Team of the 4th Infantry Division. Perkins says the brigade commanders are reviewing the incident to see if any procedures should be changed.
1 hour ago